Saturday, July 11, 2009

Watercolors at the Presidio--NOW with Photos!!!

July 11th was SketchCrawl 23 here in San Francisco! A sketch crawl is when a group of artists get together and draw/paint in the same area for a day, meeting up at a planned time and destination to end the day passing around each others' sketchbooks and socializing. We went to the Presidio, and I had no idea how wonderful it is there! Now I am even more excited that I'll be living in the Marina district this fall.

Here's a photo of the gang by Ronnie Del Carmen:


I sketched with a fine-point sharpie (usually drawing over a rough HB-pencil sketch)--the permanent marker gave a nice dark line and allowed me to paint my colors over the lines without worrying about the ink bleeding.

I started painting some flowers to experiment with color.


Then I tried scenery. Down the hill from the Starbucks we met at was this lovely park, with my favorite kind of trees--Weeping Willows! As you can see from the swaying branches, it was a windy day.


I really enjoyed working on this one, it's a doorway of 'Building 38' in the Presidio. As I was roughing out the architecture, this frisky little pup showed up and scampered all over, so I sat him up on the steps.

...and check it out, Ronnie snapped this shot of me when I was working on the drawing!!!

(Another shot by Ronnie: me, Carlos and Fabian hanging out with Claude the puppy!)


I had a great time playing with my new portable watercolor set--can't wait to use it again!

No comments: